No Filipino was hurt in the devastating wildfires on the island of Maui, Hawaii, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) reported Friday.
Citing official information from Hawaii and State Department authorities, DFA Undersecretary Eduardo Jose de Vega said no foreign national has so far been reported affected by the blazes.
‘[W]alang foreign nationals na reported affected kasama ang mga Pilipino (There are no foreign nationals affected, including Filipinos),’ he said in a public briefing.
‘Remember ang mga Pilipino nagtatrabaho sa mga main cities, forest fire iyon, so we are monitoring the situation (Remember that most Filipinos are working in the main cities, that is a forest fire, so we are monitoring the situation),’ he added.
Hawaii authorities said around 1,000 people are still unaccounted for while the death toll has climbed to 55 as the fires tore through Maui.
Local reports said mass evacuations continue for visitors and residents.
Hawaii Governor Josh Green, meanwhile, said the blazes are likely the ‘largest natural disaster’ in the state’s history
Source: Philippines News Agency