No Reported Deaths from Hepatitis A Outbreak | Lao Tribune

No Reported Deaths from Hepatitis A Outbreak

No hepatitis A-related deaths have been reported following a recent outbreak in Saythany district, Vientiane Capital and Thoulakhom district, Vientiane Province, a health official said on June 21.

The hepatitis A epidemic has come to a stop and is under control, thanks to the Ministry of Public Health’s efforts to cope with the outbreak in time, said Chanthalay Sayavong, Head of the Vientiane Capital Health Department.

Over 50 people were found to be infected with the Hepatitis A virus in six villages of Saythany district since the beginning of this year. There have been no reports about the number of people with the virus in Vientiane province, according to the Department of Health in Vientiane Capital.

Close surveillance made by medical teams has not revealed any new cases of infection in the previously mentioned villages.

Most of the patients are aged between 15-50 years old, and are being treated well at the Mahosot Hospital and their condition is improving.

Last year, over 500 people were infected with Hepatitis A in Xiengkhouang Province.

Hepatitis A is a viral liver disease that can cause mild to severe illness. The Hepatitis A virus (HAV) is transmitted through ingestion of contaminated food and water or through direct contact with an infectious person.

Source: Lao News Agency