Dy. Premier Sonexay Visits Phu Bia Mining | Lao Tribune

Dy. Premier Sonexay Visits Phu Bia Mining

Deputy Prime Minister Sonexay Siphandone last week visited Phu Bia Mining (PBM) where he was welcomed to the Phu Kham Copper-Gold Operation by Deputy Governor of Xaysomboun Province, Mr Poykham Houngbounyouang and Phu Bia Mining Chairman, Mr Chanpheng Bounnaphol.

The delegation toured Phu Kham’s computerised control room, open pit, processing plant and Tailings Storage Facility (TSF).

The Deputy Prime Minister praised PBM’s environmental management, including reforestation work, on-site water recycling, and a recently conducted road engineering project in the Phu Kham mining pit that reduced haul truck carbon emissions by six percent.

The delegation was also able to learn about the company’s approach to community development and community relations.

In 2015, local villagers around the Phu Kham and Ban Houayxai operations benefitted from 42 different community development projects related to education, health, agricultural development, microfinance and infrastructure.

“The Deputy Prime Minister and his delegates were very impressed with PBM’s environmental standards, and our achievements related to production, safety and the community,” said Phu Bia Mining Chairman, Mr Chanpheng Bounnaphol. “We are confident that this visit will positively inform discussions with other stakeholders at central and provincial levels,” he said.

The government of Laos holds a 10 percent interest in Phu Bia Mining Company Limited. The remaining 90 percent is owned by PanAust, a subsidiary of Guangdong Rising Assets Management

Source: Lao News Agency