Local Companies to Provide ICT Services for Laos-China Railway | Lao Tribune

Local Companies to Provide ICT Services for Laos-China Railway

Four private ICT companies have joined hands to supply the ICT system for the Laos-China Railway Construction Project.

The four private companies are Laos-China Railway Company, Lao Telecom, Lao Asia-Pacific and Huawei. They will provide ICT services along the railway line running from the Boten-Bohane International Border Checkpoint in Luang Namtha Province to Vientiane Capital.

The signing ceremony for the agreement to provide the ICT services was held in Vientiane Capital on January 9 between representatives of the four companies, in presence of the Minister of Post and Telecommunication, Mr Thansamay Kommasith.

The ICT service will require an investment of more than 30 billion kip (almost US$3.7 million). The ICT system will provide internet services and mobile phone signals along the 414.6-km Laos-China Railway Construction Project over the next five years.

The four contracted companies will install the ICT system at each workplace to serve workers camps of the Laos-China Railway Project, said Director General of Lao Telecom, Mr Thavone Somsakoun.

It is estimated that the Laos-China Railway Project will require total investment of US$6.8 billion, with the Lao government holding 30% of the shares and the Chinese government holding the remaining 70%. The construction is expected to be completed by 2021.

Source: Lao News Agency